Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Nicaragua


People keep asking me why I want to go live in Nicaragua for a month. I'm never quite sure what to tell them except for very simply put, "I have to." Going there in March was an extremely different experience from the other two times I was able to go. The Lord decided to break open my heart and rearrange the way I thought about people, life, and missions. I know!! I was incredibly emotional and couldn't stop sobbing for days. It was a first for me.


These three faces probably don't mean a thing to you. I only wish I could make you fully understand what they have meant to me.

I lost my brother in May of 2011 in a tragic and life-altering way. He was 32 years old. There are no answers for me, my family, and my brother's friends as to why this happened. But I remember someone talking about how the Bible tells us of God's promise to restore back to us what the enemy has stolen. I scoffed through tear-filled eyes, "How can He ever restore what's been stolen from me? You can't restore my brother." At the time it felt like a knife in the gut. Not only have I lost my brother and my friend, but now they were reminding me that nothing will ever replace him. Well, nothing will ever replace my brother.

However, this is where the three faces come in. These are three boys that lived with Sandra and Preston (The missionaries I will be staying with) on our last visit. I remember meeting them at the airport on our first night there. Sitting quietly in the back of the dark van as we made the trek back to Leon. I wasn't quite sure what to think of these boys they were ministering to, housing, teaching, and restoring. I never imagined the depth of the love I could feel for the three of them over the course of the next few days. It simply had to be God. My heart was bursting by the time we had to say goodbye. The only thing I could manage to say was: "Te amo...te amo.." (I love you). It wasn't until I was back in my home church on a Sunday Morning listening to the worship that I again broke down into tears. There was no question about it, He was confirming it in my heart. I heard Him whisper softly, gently, "You will have lots of brothers." I was overwhelmed with emotion at the realization that He was restoring my brother through the brothers I would gain in Nicaragua.

In that moment I knew I was supposed to go back. Long enough to make some sort of difference. Although if I'm really being honest, I know I'll be more impacted than they will be. I already have been.

So those three faces mean so much more than I could ever explain. They speak of the restoration God has brought to my heart and to my life.


I never thought I would be counting down the days until I saw this sweet land and people again. But He had something different planned. He wanted me back there by the end of this year, teaching english, taking photos, and helping Sandra and Preston with their powerful and life-changing ministry. The past few months have not been devoid of trials, distractions, and just plain hard and emotional moments. So here I am, a month out from leaving for the amazing experiences to come.

November 27th -December 27th is when I will be with them again. Trying my best to serve in any way I can to help these boys who have been given a second chance at life. The one thing I'm lacking is a portion of the funds I need to go. Asking for support is not my forte, but is an undeniable part of missions. A little bit of money goes a long way in Nicaragua. Everything is cheaper and I don't need much to live on at all. If you would like to be a part of what God is doing there through me and donate I would be beyond grateful. I appreciate any gift you are able to give and thank you so much for your generosity. You can give by sending your check to:  The Father's Love Ministries, 3409 Briarbend Dr., Greensboro, NC 27410

The Father's Love Ministries is a 501 c3 organization.  All Donations are fully tax deductible.

 I will need support in prayer as well. So please keep me and my mission in Nicaragua in your prayers. Thank you for taking the time to read this to all who do. 

2 comments:

M.A. Hicks said...

Gott sei dank.

Restoration of the Nations said...

We (Sandra & Preston) are beyond grateful for the opportunity for Leah to come be a part of our lives for a month. We have expanded our "nest" to include more boys, we have a total of 6 living with us. The boys that know her from last March are excited to be able to spend time with her. They are counting the days to her return. This is a God season for her and the boys, only He could orchestrate such a time. He has huge plans for them all. I encourage you to help in any way possible - $5 is not too small, it all matters in Kingdom business. Also, lift this time up in prayer, put a hedge of protection around Leah and the boys because great things will happen and we want NO interference. Bless you all for supporting Leah.

Post a Comment

 
© Leah Mae Photos
CoffeeShop Designs