Saturday, December 22, 2012

Life in Nica

Life in Nica has been mostly good. The only not good part has been that I've been a little under the weather since Sandra and I got back from Costa Rica last week. But I'm taking some antibiotics so I'm on the mend and looking forward to spending Christmas in another country. Following their traditions and just experiencing something different. The Lord has shown me so much while I've been here. It's been a very different experience than living in America. Not everything is at your fingertips and some things you just have to do without. Period. 


I was feeling a bit discouraged the other day. Believing the things that Satan was whispering in my ear. Like my trip here has been pointless, I've made no difference at all, etc. So we took a walk to a local park. They had a small "zoo" there, complete with raccoons, deer, a warthog, sheep, something that looked like a giant hamster, and monkeys! The animals were so docile, you could hold their hands/paws and pet them. I gave one monkey a good rub down on his neck and back. He was loving it. Anyway, it may sound weird, but this totally lifted my spirits. The Lord knows how much I love animals. It touched my heart to get to see them so up close and personal and even pet and hold them. "I could never do this in the US." Is what I kept thinking. 








So even though I'm a bit homesick and missing the people I love, and the cooler weather, I'm excited for Christmas Eve here. We have a plan, another family is coming to spend the day with us. We're going to swim, barbecue, sing Christmas Carols to an acoustic guitar, and set off fireworks. Then on Thursday I'm headed home. Not sure what to expect with the "culture shock" of coming back into the US. I've heard it can be jarring.

I already know it's going to break my heart to leave the boys. I love them all so much. They are each different, but all so sweet, loving, and accepting. It just shows what an impact Sandra and Preston and The Lord have already made, because before them these boys were never loved, accepted, or treated with kindness. What I'll miss the most about them is the solidarity I feel towards them. Most people in the US have not experienced the loss of a young immediate family member (like myself). These boys have lost family members young and old. Their family was never truly put together. It makes me so thankful for what I do have. So it will be hard to leave, but I know I'll be back. I know I'll see them again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Leah Mae Photos
CoffeeShop Designs