Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Boys



When I told people I was moving to Nicaragua for a month many of them asked me "Why?". Well I addressed the "Why?" in the post before I came here. The next question I got the most was, "What will you be doing there?" This was always something I just had a vague answer to. "Teaching english, taking pictures, mentoring, helping the ministry in any way I can." The truth was, I didn't know what I would be doing here. The only thing I knew was that I needed to be here. That Jesus wanted me here. This was scary, with this question being asked so often. In my mind it morphed from, "What will you be doing there?" into "What can YOU do there?" This has been one of Satan's main tools of discouragement as I've been here. I have done all of the things I mentioned above. But sometime last week it finally dawned on me. I'm here to love them. That's why I came. If I make no more impact other than to show these 5 boys how much they've touched my heart and how much I loved and needed them in my life, then I've done what Jesus sent me to do. He promised me many brothers after Noah died. And I've just gained five. Five brothers who have laughed with me, pulled my shoulder back as I was about to walk into oncoming traffic, Picked and opened fresh coconuts for me to eat, swam in the pool with me, just plain sat with me, walked with me, gotten me candy, prayed over me, but most of all, loved me.

This past week was the first week that all five of the boys were out for their "School Break". It's in the winter time down here. I've started to do devotions with them every afternoon. I wasn't sure how much of what I was saying was being absorbed. They are teenage boys after all with a short attention span. Especially if the subject doesn't cover music, soccer, or girls. I've taught them everything from, declaring good things over their lives, to prophesying over one another, to laying hands on people when they pray. And I have to say, they have absolutely floored me in learning these things. I told them to declare things as simple as: "I'm going to have a good day today." Noel's declaration was: "I will have correct thinking in my life." Now if that isn't maturity, I don't know what is. They absolutely have an understanding of what I taught them and I hope they are able to use these tools in their lives. 

So I'm leaving here with much more than just an understanding of what it's like to live in a third world country for a month. I'm leaving here having formed 5 new relationships. With boys that I truly love like they are my brothers. 

2 comments:

Restoration of the Nations said...

I did not see this before I wrote you the letter today. We are in agreement, your work here was to love the boys. Thank you for doing it beautifully.

mackieandryan said...

I enjoyed reading about your time in Nicaragua & how faithful God is. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

 
© Leah Mae Photos
CoffeeShop Designs